Xplore Eyre tour passenger enjoying the view of the Great Australian Bight
3-Day Private Whale Watching Tour
Watch Whales in the Great Australian Bight
The incredibly beautiful Head of Bight, on South Australia’s Eyre Peninsula, is renowned as one of Australia’s most spectacular whale watching sites. With the backdrop of the spectacular Bunda Cliffs, the Head of Bight offers a unique opportunity to view up to 170 Southern Right Whales as they frolic in the waters of the Great Australian Bight Marine Park from June to October each year.
This unique private tour from Adelaide, gives you the opportunity to discover the extraordinary scenery and wildlife of this part of Australia, as well as feasting on the delicious seafood of the Eyre Peninsula. All served up with local wines, boutique beers and good old-fashioned local hospitality, this tour really is a uniquely wonderful experience.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday TypeFood & Wine, Nature & Wildlife, Outback
Activity Level Leisurely
Group Size Small Group
Not only is the location stunning in its beauty, the Head of Bight offers travellers a unique opportunity with accessible viewing platforms, close enough to hear the sound when the whales breach and their ginormous bodies hit the water.
Enjoy a Whale Watching and Wildlife cruise off Point Fowler where you will commonly see Southern Right and Humpback Whales, Dolphins, Australian Sea Lions, New Zealand Fur Seals, Little Penguins and some rare species of Albatross.
From the sea to the air, you also have the option to jump in board a 45-minute scenic flight over the Head of Bight which gives you a whole other perspective of the region! Do some soft adventure four-wheel driving through massive dunes, explore stunning National Parks, discover an iconic outback roadhouse on the Nullarbor and try your hand at surf fishing.
Company owner Hassie has called this part of the world home for 25 years and he will share his knowledge and unrivalled passion for the region with you. This is a place that takes our breath away every single time we visit and watching passengers experience this the “Edge of Australia” for the first time is one of the best things about doing we what do.
- Whale watching at Head of Bight
- Cruise in the Great Australian Bight Marine Park to witness Southern Right Whales and other aquatic wildlife
- Feast on the premium produce of Australia’s Seafood Frontier
- Feel the remoteness of the vast outback wilderness of The Nullarbor Plain
- Four-wheel driving adventure in Fowlers Bay sand dunes
- Scenic flight over the Head of Bight (OE)
- This private tour requires a minimum of two people to run or a single rate is available.
- Flights are operated by Rex and depart Adelaide at 8.15am – arriving Ceduna at 9.05am. Returning from Ceduna on day three at 5.05pm arriving Adelaide 6.10pm.
- We recommend storing some luggage at your return accommodation in Adelaide as Rex have a 15kg luggage restriction per person plus one 7kg carry on. For more details on Rex Baggage Allowance please visit their website.
- It is highly recommended that you pre-book the optional activities at time of booking as they are very popular and can’t be booked on the day. We can reserve your place upon booking and you pay the operator locally.
- Any Optional Extra Experiences are outsourced and therefore the terms and conditions of each operators apply
- Dietary requirements can be catered for but must be advised at time of booking
- Please read our full Booking Terms & Conditions prior to booking your tour
- Flights – Adelaide to Ceduna return
- Accommodation – 2 nights at the Fowlers Bay 4.5 star Holiday Units
- All entry fees, national park fees and activities, unless stated as an optional extra experience
- All premium meals and wine
- Airport transfers
- Transport – executive 4WD
- Local guide and expert knowledge
While everything on our tours is included in the price such as transport, accommodation, food, entry fees and national park fees, there are some optional extra experiences not included in the price, that we leave up to you to decide if you’d like to do or not.
Departs Adelaide every Friday June to October
Adelaide to Ceduna
You will be transferred from your Adelaide accommodation bright and early to catch your 8.15am flight to Ceduna which arrives 45 minutes later. Your local guide will pick you up and give you an overview of what exciting things are to come! We’ll start your journey by exploring Denial Bay where you’ll learn about the oyster industry and sample some fresh produce. Then we’ll get a little bit adventurous doing some 4WD’ing at Acraman’s Creek before we travel to the most iconic surfing spot in South Australia, Cactus Beach.
Today we’ll drive 150km and tonight stay in the stunning Fowlers Bay to check into your self-contained accommodation at the Fowler Bay Holiday Units.
Whale Cruise or National Parks
This morning we’ll enjoy breakfast on foreshore before boarding the Fowlers Bay Whale & Oceanic Cruise to witness the great spectacle of the Southern Right Whales sheltering with their young in the waters of the Great Australian Bight Marine Park. This cruise often includes sightings of humpback whales, dolphins, sea lions, Little Penguins and birdlife.
If the Whale Cruise is not operating we’ll take in the beauty of the rugged Eyre Peninsula, do some 4WD’ing, explore National Parks and an iconic outback roadhouse. We’ll walk footprint free beaches, sample the local seafood and even try your hand at surf fishing.
We’ll make our way back to Fowlers Bay and cook the catch of the day.
The Head of Bight
This morning its up bright and early to take in the jaw dropping beauty of the Head of Bight. From this incredible lookout on the Great Australian Bight we’ll spot some more whales and simply take in the view of this what is Australia’s ultimate coastal lookout.
From the sea to the air, next we highly recommend the Optional Extra Experience of the 45-minute Scenic Flight over the Great Australian Bight and inspiring Bunda Cliffs where you’ll also be able to again spot 100 or so southern right whales, as well as the spectacular scenery of the outback of the Nullarbor.
As your tour draws to and end we’ll experience true Australian outback heading inland to see some limestone karst caves of The Nullarbor before returning back to Ceduna and boarding your flight. Your Adelaide transfer will have you back to Adelaide accommodation at 9pm.